Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rollercoaster

I've been on a rollercoaster of emotions so far today. I started off feeling very nostalgic; then a little depressed. I decided to get away from my computer screen at work and read some of my book, Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ.

In the book, it talks about the emotional and rational functions of the brain, and how it's important to know how to utilize both in order to make decisions that lead to a successful life. It talks about how people are often overwhelmed with certain emotions (nostalgia, depression, etc.), and allow themselves to make decisions and take actions without any rational thought. In other words, how to manage ones emotions and utilize them to ones advantage.

When I read that, I decided to take action toward the things that I really want and need to take care of. First, I needed to schedule a date to take the assessment test in order to enroll in classes at my local college (Houston Community College). I did. I'll be taking it next Wednesday morning (wish me luck!).

I feel a little better now, but my work is not done yet. I'm going to continue reading my book, and working on managing my emotions so that they are not slowing me down from my goals.

No comments: