Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Arab-Israeli Conflict

I am determined to learn as much about the Arab-Israeli Conflict as possible, and from both sides of the spectrum. As of now, my current feelings are that Israel has taken a harsh and abrasive stance against Palestinians and Lebanese -- generally, all Arabs -- since after WWII.

The Jewish people have been persecuted and have persecuted other ethnic groups throughout their history. Not including the present conflict, the most recent trauma suffered by the Jews was WWII itself, where millions of its people were exterminated at the hands of German radicals. Did this onslaught result in the creation of Jewish radicals, a title of which has been averted, instead being called "Zionists"?

Who is entitled to the land once called Palestine? The Zionists say that they are entitled, as God has promised it to them. I have no respect for any people who say they know what God says, or what God wants. Therefore, their argument of divine entitlement holds no water as far as I'm concerned.

The Arabs also say much about God. The difference in their case, as far as I see it, is that their homes were in Palestine. But perhaps they have been seen by much of the West -- namely white Christians -- as less "civilized", less organized, less united, therefore less entitled.

I think history will shed much more light on the issue than can be determined now. However, I believe it is necessary, for the sake of humanity, to ask questions regarding the validity and fairness of this conflict. My goal is to determine first what questions are necessary to ask.

My first resource is a book by Debra A. Miller, appropriately called The Arab-Israeli Conflict. Your comments on the issue are welcome and encouraged.

No comments: